December is fast approaching - Don’t miss the deadline - Your federal loan(s) could be forgiven! Learn More
Since 1969, VSAC Talent Search has been providing career and college planning services to students who meet income guidelines and have an interest in pursuing education or training beyond high school.
The VSAC Talent Search program helps students to explore career and postsecondary education options, to succeed in and to graduate from high school, and to enroll in education programs after high school.
- 99% of Talent Search students graduate from high school on time.
- 79% of seniors (class of 2019) enrolled in postsecondary programs the year following graduation.
- 55% of students completed a postsecondary program within 6 years.
Talent Search is a U.S. Department of Education federally funded TRIO program. More than 309,900 students are enrolled in 473 Talent Search TRIO programs across the US.
WHO WE SERVE THROUGH TALENT SEARCH
Talent Search counselors work at 46 Vermont middle and high schools in 11 of 14 Vermont counties, scheduling monthly meetings for students in grades 6–12. Students must attend a school that is part of the Talent Search program and meet certain criteria, including:
- be motivated to attend postsecondary education
- meet income guidelines set by the federal Department of Education
- be a first-generation college student (neither parent has a bachelor’s degree)
Talent Search serves approximately 1,000 students each year. Talent Search counselors work directly with students and also with parents and guardians, school counselors, and other educators in students’ lives.
WHAT WE DO THROUGH TALENT SEARCH
VSAC Talent Search offers students:
- counseling support for career and college planning
- academic support and advising on high school courses
- assistance with college applications, including standardized test advising
- fee waivers for standardized tests and college applications
- assistance understanding financial aid and help completing applications
We also offer:
- parent events
- college visits
- summer enrichment programs
HOW TO ACCESS TALENT SEARCH
Students are typically nominated to participate in the VSAC Talent Search program. If you're a student—or the parent of a student—interested in this program, talk to your school counselor or complete this referral form and the Talent Search counselor in your region will follow up.
Talent Search serves these Vermont schools:
- Addison County: Middlebury Union HS, Mt. Abraham MS/HS, Vergennes MS/HS
- Bennington County: Arlington Memorial HS, Mt. Anthony Union HS, Mt. Anthony Union MS
- Caledonia County: Hazen Union HS, Lyndon Institute, Lyndon Town School, Millers Run MS, Sutton MS
- Chittenden County: Burlington HS, Edmunds MS, Lyman Hunt MS, Milton HS, Milton MS
- Franklin County: Berkshire Elementary, BFA–Fairfax, BFA–St. Albans, Enosburg Falls MS/HS, Missisquoi Valley Union MS/HS, Montgomery Elementary
- Lamoille County: Lamoille Union HS, Lamoille Union MS, Peoples Academy, Peoples Academy Middle Level
- Orange County: Randolph MS/HS, Williamstown MS/HS
- Rutland County: Otter Valley Union MS/HS, Rutland HS
- Washington County: Barre City MS, Barre Town MS, Northfield MS/HS, Spaulding HS, Twinfield HS, U-32 HS
- Windham County: Bellows Falls MS, Bellows Falls Union HS, Brattleboro Area MS, Brattleboro Union HS, Leland & Gray HS
- Windsor County: Hartford HS, Hartford Memorial MS, White River Valley HS, White River Valley MS, Windsor MS/HS
We also offer a wealth of information and guidance for students and parents right on this website. Get more guidance >
Student Success Stories
Read about some students who participated in Talent Search.
Kelsey Stratton, who attended Randolph Union High School and Northern Vermont University Lyndon
Cassandra Bittner, who attended BFA St. Albans and Champlain College
Jeff Virge, who attended Spaulding High School and VTSU Castleton