Serving our community is at the heart of all we do. During these challenging times, we remain steadfast in our commitment to supporting Vermont students and their families. Click here for VSAC program updates.
At VSAC, we have a proven record of increasing high school graduation and postsecondary enrollment rates. From the high school graduation Class of 2018, 93% of the students served through the VSAC GEAR UP program successfully graduated on time. And 74% of those graduates who enrolled in college right after high school persisted through their third semester of college.
We also have a strong commitment to supporting school efforts. In the 2018–2019 academic year, we provided resources and support to enhance school efforts involving career and college readiness initiatives to more than 38 schools and 7 state partner organizations.
WHO WE SERVE THROUGH VSAC GEAR UP
Through GEAR UP, we serve 7th through 12th graders in 38 middle and high schools across the state. Each year, we serve about 2,500 middle/high school students and 300 college freshmen. We also provide outreach to our student’s families, helping to make sure they have the college and career planning information—and the financial support—they need to best support their students throughout their education journey.
VSAC’s GEAR UP program also provides resources and support to 7 state partners. These combined efforts serve to enhance local school and state-wide efforts to improve the career and college readiness of Vermont students.
To be served by GEAR UP, students and schools must meet federal income requirements. In some schools, students who meet income eligibility requirements are nominated by school staff based on their potential to succeed in postsecondary education. In other schools, all students can receive our services. Regardless of the type of school, all students served under VSAC’s GEAR UP program receive services throughout their time in middle and high school.
Vermont State GEAR UP GUIDE Program
The GUIDE program is a component of Vermont State GEAR UP that aims to improve postsecondary outcomes by supporting high school graduates during the transition into and through their first year of postsecondary education. This report includes an overview of the GUIDE program, findings from the first two cohorts of participating students (2013 and 2014 high school graduates), and a discussion of lessons learned and future directions.
WHAT WE DO THROUGH GEAR UP
We provide services to support students, parents, and schools:
- VSAC GEAR UP services for middle and high school students:
- Intensive support, including mentoring, tutoring, career/college counseling, and selection of academically rigorous courses
- VSAC GEAR UP college scholarship
- Career and college exploration through information sessions, field trips, 1-on-1 counseling, summer programs, and cultural activities
- Financial literacy programs and assistance with understanding financial aid, eligibility, and assistance with forms
- VSAC GEAR UP services for college students:
- Opportunity to join our first-year support texting platform
- Academic, social, and personal support with the transition to college
- Assistance completing financial aid and scholarship applications
- Help in making connections with on-campus support systems
- VSAC GEAR UP services for parents:
- High school and college planning information and support
- Opportunities to participate in educational, career exploration, and mentoring experiences for their students
- Assistance with college and financial aid applications
- Support with the transition from high school to college for their student
- VSAC GEAR UP services for schools:
- Curriculum resources on career and college planning, financial aid, and the transition from middle to high school and high school to college
- Professional development opportunities for teachers and administrators
- Funding aimed at supporting school improvement initiatives
HOW TO ACCESS GEAR UP
If you're interested in joining the VSAC GEAR UP program, please speak to your school counselor and they'll put you in contact with the VSAC GEAR UP counselor at your school.
- Students must be citizens or nationals of the United States or permanent residents and residents of Vermont.
- Students must be enrolled in grades 7–12 within the identified middle schools or high schools.
- Students are often recommended by their school counselors as motivated to continue their education after high school.
There are many ways for students to be eligible to participate in GEAR UP:
- eligibility for Free and Reduced-Price Lunch
- being an English language learner
- being the first generation in their families to go to college
- experiencing homelessness
- being in foster care
- having an incarcerated parent
VSAC GEAR UP PARTNERS
We know that our efforts significantly grow when we partner with others to help students succeed. Toward that end we provide both services and funding to many entities that support youth in their career and college planning success
VSAC GEAR UP Schools:
- Franklin County: Richford Junior/Senior High School
- Chittenden County: Colchester Middle and High School, Winooski Middle and High School
- Rutland County: Benson Village School, Fair Haven Grade School, Fair Haven High School, Poultney Middle and High School, Proctor Middle and High School, Mill River Union Middle and High School
- Windsor County: Green Mountain Union Middle and High School, Black River Union Middle and High School, Springfield High School, Riverside Middle School
- Orange County: Rivendell Academy (Orford, NH), Oxbow Middle and High School, Blue Mountain Union Middle and High School
- Caledonia County: St. Johnsbury Middle School, St. Johnsbury Academy, Danville Middle and High School
- Essex County: Canaan School (Middle and High School), Brighton Elementary School
- Orleans County: Lake Region High School, Orleans Elementary School, Charleston Elementary School, Brownington Middle School, Barton Graded School, Craftsbury Academy, Albany Community School, Glover Community School, Irasburg Village School, Lowell Middle School, Troy School, Coventry Village School, North Country Junior High School, North Country Union High School
VSAC GEAR UP state and regional partners:
- Careers CLiC
- DREAM Mentoring Program
- University of Vermont
- Vermont State College System
- Vermont Principals Association
- Vermont Agency of Education
- Vermont Afterschool, Inc.
- Vermont Virtual Learning Cooperative
We also offer a wealth of information and guidance for students and parents right on this website. Get more guidance >