COVID-19 updates & ways VSAC can help
An online resource & month-long virtual event!
High school students and parents, whether you’re college-bound, training-bound or not sure, this online resource and month-long virtual event is for you.
Our online resource includes short videos and guided questions for Vermont high school students and families. Videos feature local experts who walk you through options, concrete next steps, and finding the right resources to pursue your education and career goals.
The month-long virtual event took place in March 2021, but you can find recordings of the live sessions below under “Recorded Workshops, Tours & Info Sessions.”
College & Career Pathways is primarily intended for 10th and 11th grade students and parents/guardians, but may also be helpful for older or younger students, depending on where you are in your planning process.
Click on each green bar below for details on College & Career Pathways links and resources.
- College & Career Planning Videos & Guided Questions
Click on the titles below for the videos and guided questions on this topic. You can also save a copy of the overview sheet with descriptions and links for each topic.
My Life, My Path: There’s no right way to approach your life. Likewise, there’s no right or wrong way to approach your education and career after high school. Start to explore your options and reflect on the pathway that might be right for you.
Short-Term Training & Apprenticeships: Short-term training can be a great way to increase skills or jump-start your career, and apprenticeships enable you to earn while you learn. Discover the wide variety of training options available both in-person and online throughout Vermont.
Intro to Résumé Writing: Find out what employers look for in a résumé and walk away with a checklist for creating a job application that will improve your odds of getting an interview.
Interviewing Success Strategies: Find out how to prepare for a job interview and show off your best self to potential employers. While structured around applying for a job, these tips can also be applied to a college admissions interview.
The College Search—Finding the Right Fit: Learn what to consider and then reflect on what you want from your postsecondary experience so that you can narrow the search to institutions that meet your values and preferences. While structured around the college search, these questions can also be helpful in thinking about what you might want in a future employer or non-degree training program.
Strategies for the SAT & ACT: Want to make yourself a stronger candidate for college admissions and merit-based financial aid by earning a high score on the SAT or ACT? Get “best practice” strategies and free test-prep resources from a professional test prep tutor.
Navigating the Admissions Process: Overwhelmed by the college admissions process? Hear directly from college admissions counselors about the steps involved in applying, what they look for in students, and ways they can support you through the process.
Writing the Admissions Essay: Find out what colleges look for in the admissions essay and discover how to craft an essay that sets you apart.
Financial Aid & Managing College Costs: Nervous about how you’ll afford to pay for college or career training? Learn about how others make it work, the types of financial aid available, how to apply for them, and what you should be doing now to set yourself up for success.
Scholarships—Free Money: Learn how to find and apply for local, state, and national scholarships.
The Postsecondary Experience—Student Voices: Find out what current college and non-degree training students think you should know about education after high school.
Going to College—How to Stick with It and Graduate: Going to college and dropping out before receiving your degree can be expensive and disheartening. Find out the most common reasons why college students leave school, and what steps you can start taking now to help you make it to graduation.
Gap Year 101: Learn about the benefits, challenges, and opportunities surrounding the gap year option.
Identifying Your Career Interests: Discover how your interests relate to clusters of nearly 900 occupations.
Showcasing Essential Skills: Learn which skills are critical to success after high school, how to highlight the skills you already have, and how to build new ones.
Navigating Your Own Career Path: Connect your interests and skills with promising careers in Vermont and explore a broad range of career and education pathways.
- Recorded Workshops, Tours & Info Sessions
Click on a workshop title below to view the session recording.
- Identifying Your Career Interests recording (also available as an interactive learning module)
- Short-Term Training Options recording (also available as an interactive learning module)
- I Wish I Knew That! Programs to Pursue Before You Graduate recording (presentation informational slides)
- Showcasing Essential Skills recording (also available as an interactive learning module)
- Gap Year 101—Answering Your Questions About the Gap Year Option recording (also available as an interactive learning module)
- Navigating Virtual Campus Visits & Admissions recording (also available as an interactive learning module)
- Navigating Your Own Career Path recording
- Navigating the College Search for Students Who Learn Differently recording
- Financial Aid & Managing College Costs recording (also available as an interactive learning module)
- Supporting Your Teen’s Career Search recording
- Scholarships—Free Money recording (also available as an interactive learning module)
Vermont College & Training Program Tours & Info Sessions
The following colleges and training programs offered virtual tours and info sessions as part of the 2021 event.
- Advanced Welding Institute
- Bennington College: register for an upcoming virtual tour
- Castleton University: view the recording of live session from March 17
- CCV: view the recording of live session from March 23
- Center for Cartoon Studies
- Champlain College: take a virtual tour and view upcoming live sessions
- Goddard College
- Middlebury College: view the recording of live session from April 1
- Northern Vermont University: register for an upcoming admissions event
- Northlands Job Corps Center: view the recording of live session from March 12
- Norwich University: take a virtual tour and view upcoming live sessions.
- Saint Michael's College: view the recording of live session from March 24
- Sterling College
- University of Vermont: Learn more about life at UVM and register for an upcoming live Q&A with current students and admissions counselors.
- Vermont Adult Career & Technical Education: view the recording of live session from March 22
- Vermont Registered Apprenticeships: view the recording of live session from March 16
- Vermont Technical College
- Additional Resources
Call 877-961-4369 or e-mail us at email@example.com.
College & Career Pathways is funded by VSAC and by Vermont State GEAR UP, a federally funded program.