Main Content

New Americans

Are you new to the United States?

Whether you arrived in Vermont as a refugee, asylum seeker, immigrant or under humanitarian parolee status, VSAC welcomes you and wants to help with your job and education planning. If you’re interested in a 4-year university degree, a 2-year degree, or a short-term job training program — we can help with admissions and financial aid applications. If you want to meet with us, call (802) 654-3793 and ask for an appointment. Check out the information below to get started! 

Navigating the various paths in education and training in Vermont can be overwhelming especially when English is not your first language. The VSAC EOC program hosted a panel discussion on resources for people who have settled in Vermont from other countries. Along with current college students, they were joined by the U.S. Committee for Refugees and Immigrants, VT Adult Learning, and Community College of VT to discuss resources and steps that you can take toward education or training.

Your experiences in high school will help you plan what you do next with your education and employment. We want to provide clear information for you and your family to make informed decisions. Check out the links below.
Looking for a program in Vermont? Your guide to Vermont colleges and universities.

MyfutureVT offers career and education options  

College deadlines and application process  

All you need to know about paying for college, including submitting the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), the Vermont state grant, scholarships, and how VSAC can help.

Looking for information about the FAFSA in multiple languages? Click the blue "Translate" button on the left at this website or scroll all the way to the bottom of the page for 10 language options.

If you were a GEAR UP student in high school, then you are automatically enrolled in GUIDE which helps students during their first year of postsecondary education. 

No matter the age of our children we all want what is best for them. The university and training systems after high school in the United States are complicated and can be expensive. We have gathered resources to support your family through this process. Check out the links below.

Parent University aims to help parents engage with their children and community and to enrich themselves and their children, all in an effort to help Burlington’s families thrive.   

Learn more about the VT529 plan, which helps families save to pay for higher education. 

No matter where you are in your education and career journey, there are resources and supports available to assist you along the way.

Vermont Adult Learning helps improve English skills and provides options for those who do not yet have a high school diploma   

Advancement grants help eligible Vermonters access short term training programs and test out college courses. It includes driver’s training as way to increase employability.  

Adults interested in education and/or short-term training opportunities can review these options.  

Financial aid for adults looking for funding to pay for training and education  

If you have credits or degrees from another country, it will be important to have college coursework evaluated by an external agency before it is transferred. There is a charge for this evaluation.  

AALV helps new Americans from all parts of the world gain independence in their new communities through a range of integration services, including bridging case management, workforce development, behavioral health awareness, and interpreter services programming. 

CEDO The mission of the Community Economic Development Office is to engage with our community to build an equitable, healthy, safe, and vibrant city with opportunities for all.

CVOEO The Champlain Valley Office for Economic Opportunity is committed to economic, social, and racial justice.

Howard Center serves children, adults, families, and communities as the designated provider for mental health and developmental disability services and the preferred provider for substance use services in Chittenden County.  

Mercy Connections offers education & transition programs, justice & mentoring programs, and the Women’s Small Business Program.  

NEKASAN helps asylum seekers get released from detention by providing sponsorship, hosting, support, and a welcoming community.  

Next Gen Personal Finance The U.S. economic and financial system has its own special language and complex rules that may be confusing for students and parents who grew up in other cultures. Next Gen Personal Finance offers a six-part series of brief videos (in both English and Spanish) on U.S.-specific finance topics that may be unfamiliar to English language learners and their families.

ReSource job training and poverty relief programs are rooted in environmental stewardship.  

Spectrum empowers teens, young adults, and their families to make and sustain positive changes through prevention, intervention, and life skills services.  

State Refugee Office works through a network of service providers in Vermont to meet the educational, cultural, and linguistic needs of refugees and immigrants. The mission of the State Refugee Office is to promote and provide a safe and welcoming home for refugees and immigrants, and to promote their full participation as self-sufficient individuals and families in the economic, social, and civic life of Vermont. Eligible groups include: Afghan and Iraqi Special Immigrant Visa Holders, Amerasians, Asylees, Cuban/Haitian Entrants, Human Trafficking Victims, Legal Permanent Residents, and Refugees.

USCRI-VT offers newly arrived refugees a comprehensive set of linguistically and culturally appropriate services, with a goal of attaining self-sufficiency. These include Reception & Placement, Cultural Orientation, Intensive Case Management, Housing Placement, Health and Wellness, Transitional Cash Assistance, Workforce Development, Reach Up Case Management, Interpretation and Translation, Youth Empowerment and Mentoring, Digital Literacy, English Language Learning, Citizenship Classes, Community Partnership, and Volunteer Support. for everyday needs — housing, legal help, alcohol/drug problems, crisis services, help with utilities, education support services, and more.