How We Create Opportunities for Vermonters
Our vision is to create opportunities for all Vermont students, but particularly for those—of any age—who believe that the doors to higher education are closed to them.
VSAC’s 529 COLLEGE SAVINGS PLAN
More than $400 million is invested in over 22,000 Vermont Higher Education Investment plan accounts as of April 2019.
VSAC NEED-BASED EDUCATION GRANTS
In 2018, VSAC awarded 12,476 need-based education grants (totaling $19.7 million) to Vermont students.
VSAC administered 150 scholarships funded by public or private sources—funding over 3,500 awards worth more than $5.5 million during the 2017-2018 academic year.
VSAC LOAN SERVICES
VSAC’s FY18 financing:
- VSAC issued $4.5 million in its Vermont Advantage loans and serviced $825.3 million in federal and private loans
- Borrower benefit programs saved borrowers more than $2.1 million last year and $180 million since 1995
- Offered the Vermont Advantage loan for Vermont students and parents at rates currently lower than the federal PLUS loan
- Provided Vermont Advantage loan coaching: free, in-depth personalized education debt counseling as borrowers begin repayment
VSAC COMMUNITY OUTREACH
In 2018–19, VSAC:
- Counseled 6,642 low-income and/or first-generation, college-bound Vermont students of all ages through the VSAC Aspirations Project, special projects with the McClure Foundation and three federal grants: Talent Search, GEAR UP and Educational Opportunity Center.
- 79 percent of Talent Search and 63 percent of GEAR UP participants who graduated from high school in 2019 continued their education in the fall.
- More than 1,750 Vermont adults enrolled in the EOC program and 73% enrolled in postsecondary education; the program assisted an additional 1,156 people throughout Vermont.
- Middle school and high school students from all over Vermont were served by GEAR UP partnerships, including Vermont Afterschool, Governor’s Institutes of Vermont, Vermont Virtual Learning Cooperative, University of Vermont, and Community College of Vermont’s Introduction to College & Careers.
- Served approximately 324 first-year Vermont students attending colleges both in- and out-of-state through VSAC’s innovative GUIDE program, which helps students transition successfully to college and improve first-year retention rates. Additionally, approximately 900 GEAR UP postsecondary students received GEAR UP’s renewable scholarship.
- Assisted 4,900 Vermonters in managing college costs and completing financial aid forms during high school workshops, college events, and individual appointments.
- Hosted more than 1,500 Vermont high school students and parents at Vermont’s premier annual college planning and financing event, College Pathways, on 3 Vermont college campuses.
- Distributed financial aid materials, adult student handbooks, and scholarship booklets to 650 Vermont schools, libraries, and agencies.
- VSAC staff provided training to 397 education professionals on the topics of career exploration, college planning, and applying for financial aid.
VSAC 2018 Annual Report
Download VSAC’s 2018 Annual Report.