VSAC has extended the VSAC-assisted scholarship deadline to March 1 to help support families as they navigate the challenge of the latest FAFSA-related processing delay.
Pursue a career in dentistry
A program to increase the number of dentists in Vermont
Funded by the Vermont Legislature, the Vermont State Dentist Incentive Loan Program awards up to $50,000 annually for qualified recipients enrolled in their second, third or fourth year of a dental program.
Funding is awarded to qualifying applicants on a first-come, first-served basis until all funds have been depleted.
Recipients are awarded in the form of an interest-free loan which is forgiven when the recipient signs a promissory note and has completed the following work obligations:
- Agree to work as a dentist in Vermont for a minimum of one year following licensure for each year of assistance received. Employment must average no less than 20 hours/week; recipients are expected to accept patients with coverage under Medicaid or other state-funded health care benefit programs.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
- Vermont residents
- A current graduate student who has completed the first year and is entering their second, third or fourth year of a dental program
- Enroll full time in an accredited dental school approved for federal Title IV funding (Pell grants, federal Direct loans)
- Intend to work as a dentist in Vermont for a minimum of one year following licensure
- Demonstrate financial need
- Demonstrate academic achievement
HOW MUCH IS THE AWARD?
Up to $50,000 annually for qualified recipients enrolled in their second, third or fourth year of a dental program.
HOW DO I APPLY?
- For detailed information about the forgivable loan and the application process, review the Scholarships for Vermonters booklet.
- Complete the Unified Scholarship Application online through your MyVSAC account, click on Work with VSAC-Assisted Scholarships, look for “Submit Application” and “Unified Scholarship Application (USA)” and follow the instructions.
WHEN SHOULD I APPLY?
- Applications become available October 1 and should be submitted by the deadline listed in the Scholarships for Vermonters booklet.
WHAT IS AN INTEREST-FREE FORGIVABLE LOAN?
The state of Vermont offers several forgivable loan programs to encourage students to enter the Vermont workforce in specific high-demand fields. These unique loans:
- Are interest-free
- Require awarded students to sign a promissory note committing to specific work obligations when they accept the funding
- Do not require payment while the student is enrolled in the applicable degree or training program
- Are “forgiven” — which means that the loan does not have to be paid back — when the student meets the work obligations outlined in the promissory note they signed
- Must be repaid if the student doesn't complete the program, doesn't receive their license, or doesn't work in the field in Vermont following licensure
For example: Mary received $16,000 in a dentistry forgivable loan program to study dentistry at UVM for her senior year. Upon completion of the program, Mary took her dental exams, received her license and began working as a dentist in Vermont. One year later her employment was verified, and the loan was forgiven!
- about your application or status? Contact VSAC or call 888-253-4819.