Frequently Asked Questions

Choose from the list of menu topics to sort through our FAQs.

Vermont Grants

What grants can I apply for online?

You can apply online through your MyVSAC account for the Vermont Incentive Grants and an Advancement Grant (previously the Vermont Non-Degree Grant).

Do I need an account number to apply for a Vermont grant?

No, you don't need an account number to apply for a Vermont grant. Create a MyVSAC account or log in to your existing account. Once logged in, click on "Work with Grants."

I'm a Vermont resident. Am I eligible for a Vermont grant if I go to a school outside Vermont?

Yes, Vermont grants are "portable," meaning they can be used at any approved school within or outside Vermont.

I’m thinking of transferring to another school. Do I need to reapply for financial aid?

Contact the college you'll be transferring to for information on the financial aid forms you'll be required to submit. Also notify VSAC’s Grant and Scholarship programs of your new school. 

Do I need to apply for financial aid every year?

Students must apply for financial aid every year they're in school, whether or not they transfer.

Are grant decisions based solely on income?

No, VSAC looks at a number of factors when determining grant eligibility: income, assets, family size, number of family members in college, the age of the older parent, the cost of the school the student is attending, and several other factors. Grades do not enter into grant decisions.

How do I check the status of my Vermont grant?

Log in to your MyVSAC account and click on "Work with Grants." You’ll see your To-Do List, which will let you know about any remaining information that VSAC needs. To check your eligibility or disbursement status, click on "View Awards."

Can I email my tax return and W-2s to you?

Email is not a secure form of communication, so we don’t recommend that you email your tax return. You can upload your tax return and W-2s through MyVSAC by clicking on the Tax Return or W-2 link on your Grant To-Do List.

I submitted my federal income tax return, but you're asking for my W-2s. What are W-2s?

Your W-2s are the wage statements that your employer sends to you so you can complete your federal income tax return. They're used to verify the wage amounts reported on your tax return.

I submitted the required information yesterday. When will my account be updated?

Once you submit required documents, it can take up to 3 business days for your account to reflect the documents as received. Your application will then be reviewed for eligibility 7–10 business days after the documents are entered onto your account.

How do I add a course to my Advacement (non-degree) Grant application?

Please call or email us to request a form to add a course to your Advancement (non-degree) Grant application.

My class is already over. Is it too late to apply for an Advancement (non-degree) Grant?

It isn't too late, as long as funding is available. You may apply for an Advancement (non-degree) Grant for a course that you've already completed, as long as the course began in the academic year for which funding is still available.

When will my grant be disbursed to my school?

Your grant will be disbursed to your school once your school verifies your enrollment for the term or your class. Your school will verify your enrollment online through its MyVSAC account once the term or your class begins.