COVID-19 updates & ways VSAC can help
Serving our community is at the heart of all we do. Our Resource Center in Winooski is closed, but we remain available and committed to help you navigate all your career and education needs and manage your student loans. Using guidance from the Vermont Department of Health, we're adapting the way we do this to best protect the health and safety of students, families, partners and staff.
- Our customer service specialists remain committed to assisting you. Please continue to reach out to us at 833-802-8722 (Monday–Friday, 8:00 am–4:30 pm) if you have questions.
Not a VSAC borrower? VSAC can help you determine the steps you need to take on your federal or private loan even if it isn’t serviced by VSAC. Call us at 833-802-8722 and our customer service specialists will help!
- Our adult counselors in the EOC program are available for free phone appointments to assist adults thinking about postsecondary and short-term training programs and how to navigate online learning options. Call 877-961-4369 for a free appointment.
- We invite you to follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter for live and recorded webinars.
Can I suspend my VSAC non-federal private student loans?
If you’ve been impacted by COVID-19, VSAC can suspend your payments: You must contact us, as we aren't authorized to make any changes on your private loans without talking to you! Please call us at 800-798-8722 (Monday–Friday, 8:00 am–4:30 pm).
Can I suspend my VSAC federal student loans?
Your VSAC federal student loans have several options available to immediately suspend the payments. Please call us at 800-798-8722 (Monday–Friday, 8:00 am–4:30 pm) so that we can discuss the best option for your individual situation.
Do VSAC loan borrowers qualify for federal payment relief and 0% interest?
The CARES Act and the Memorandum on Continued Student Loan Payment Relief During the COVID-19 Pandemic issued by the President on August 8, 2020, do not include relief for VSAC’s federal student loans or non-federal private student loans. VSAC has continually advocated to extend CARES Act benefits for all education loan borrowers.
What if I have defaulted VSAC student loans?
If you have defaulted student loans with VSAC and have been impacted by COVID-19, see the options available to you on the Manage Loan Default page.
If you’re experiencing hardship because of COVID-19, please call us at 800-642-3177 (Monday–Friday, 8:00 am–4:30 pm) so we can explore options.
For students entering or continuing in college and training, we've made it easier and faster to apply for funds to help pay the costs.
Auto-renewal: To reduce the paperwork burden for returning students, VSAC is offering to automatically renew the Vermont grant application as well as any renewable VSAC-assisted scholarships that students received in the prior year.
- If you have a Vermont grant application on file from the current academic year and were eligible for a grant, VSAC will automatically use the information on that application to consider you for a grant for next year.
- All students should monitor their myVSAC accounts for requests for additional information.
- Important: All students must still complete the FAFSA each year. Find details and apply here.
- Please call us at 800-882-4166 or email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions.
Income adjustments: We're also allowing applicants to use estimated 2020 income (rather than income reported on their 2018 tax returns) to better reflect any changes to employment status as a result of the current crisis.
- If you've applied for a grant and have experienced a change in financial circumstances, please call us at 800-882-4166 or email email@example.com.
- College & Career Pathways — View workshop video recordings and find resources, handouts, and links to statewide employers and agencies eager to support your career goals and interests with apprenticeships and other job programs. Find it all here.
- Financial Aid & Managing College Costs presentations —View our video recording and find helpful resources here.
- Financial Aid Fridays Check our event calendar for new ZOOM meetings about postsecondary education attendance and funding as they're scheduled.
- Need help applying for a Vermont grant? Watch our Facebook Live event to walk through the application with VSAC's Miranda Roth.
- QuaranTeen Time for HS Students Weekly online college- and career-planning workshops (Tuesdays, 3:00 pm) to help high school students get college and career ready.
Check VSAC's calendar of events for more virtual workshops as they develop.
- Federal Student Loan Coronavirus and Forbearance Info for Students, Borrowers, and Parents
- Supports for students who formerly experienced foster care
- Avoiding scams and who to contact for help
- Getting you through COVID-19 — state resources for students & families; updates on college admissions, applications, and testing; and remote learning links and resources
- Governor Phil Scott’s press release about Vermont’s lead in a multi-state initiative to provide protections to private loan borrowers.